These are for another time. Join Leeds Retro on facebook. The campaigners claim the All England Lawn Tennis Club's (AELTC) designs for a new 8,000-seat show court and 38 other grass courts on a golf course next to the world-famous SW19 club breaches a . Firstly, its great to see some comments relating to the band. Now based in Peterborough with an amazing wife and an eccentric German Shepherd. This of course meant giving away some of my earnings, clearly a situation that could not go on. Anyway, encouraged, I wound back my mental clock to the early 1960s. The Monotones.some personal memories Submitted by Jim Eaton. Faculty's Students' Council FEIT. Id be very grateful for any information you can provide, and any and all information used will be acknowledged and credited. Please dont worry about your comment re Pam, you were not to know. Your Tiffany purchase comes wrapped in our Blue Box packaging. Tim, Some great comments here. Reference to the Seven Up TV series stirred some memories of a BBC film about youth of the day which featured us playing at The Elms but I dont recall it being broadcast,do you? I will, however, contact Jim who has a daughter in Australia that he visits. Billy, if you contact Chris, the webmaster, will pass along your info to me or Jill so Rod and I can get in touch. Hi I used to go to Tiffanys nightclub in Wimbledon Broadway from 1971-1972 and the resident band was The Treetops. . Apparently in May 1967 Pink Floyd gigged there. If you get this message you can contact me on awbarcelona@yahoo.com All the best. You can reach me on jimboeat [at] hotmail.com Ive had a remarkable change of fortune since I lost dear Pam, tell you when we talk. 152. To read the full history of the group and its change to the Treetops, read through the comments below. Ah such happy times! If you wish to contact me through Chris (rchrisbishop@gmail.com) you may be able to help me out. Mark Loyd, 1964Postscript, February 2011: Jim Eaton: I have just returned from Australia where I caught up with Mark Loyd who was for many years part of The Monotones before he pursued a solo career. Around this time we got involved with a guy, who I believe was a friend of Brians family, named Nick Kirby. Ian is now an eminent ceramicist. This is the 9th 7 year update to the original ground- breaking documentary 7UP , of which we are extremely proud to have been a part of , albeit very brief . Jim has my number. It also meant we were chosen to play at many prestigious gigs. They didnt sellalcohol in that bar but they had an over 18s bit so guess where me and my mates ended up? Just a final few memories to add of my time at Alexanders before I got a proper job. The small matter of transporting the heavy organ each night definitely had a big bearing on my decision! 1964 saw the release of our second record Its Great which once again took us back to Regent Sound studio for the recording session. Thanks for the kind mentions on this page. Anybody got anecdotes or info on them? Pete Stanley: The bass player and quiet man of the group. I note you were with The Right Attitude. I even could get a recording contract with DEUTSCHE VOUGUE funnily enough the distributors for PYE in Germany. The home of Tennis on BBC Sport online. The two other most popular groups were The Whirlwinds and The Paramounts ( later to gain fame as Procul Harem ). hi jim of treetops tiffinys wimbledon, you prob wont rememeber us brothers 4 of us use to come to tiffinys with others & great times , my younger brother always had to much to drink & go out back & set the alarms off, & the bouncers said not you again. Pete Trout left and emigrated to Australia in search of new horizons. A very grateful Seven UP following thanks you. An Atlanta-area strip club DJ hired his best friend to murder his wife, who was found dead in her suburban home with a young child straddling the woman's lifeless body . Jan. 2010. However, following the article graffiti started to appear around the school such as Jim for headmaster and What Would I Do without Jim. They of course smashed the real thing, something we couldnt afford to do. It was time to find another place to rehearse and learn new numbers. I can't be fairer than that! We introduced a set of vibes to our three guitars and drums line-up. Seems like riding a bike, you never forget.Believe it or not, I have only just sold a load of my gear that I used use at the Elms. I restored and set-up a Strat for Paul, which looked as if it had been used by Pete Townshend to try and destroy a granite amp! In October 1966 The Beach Boys released the iconic Good Vibrations and I recall we rehearsed this number for hours and hours. In June 1978, police were called to the Quay Club when someone let off a CS canister, at 11.30pm, causing chaos. You must be 107. I look forward to hearing them on Strictly Come Dancing! On a Sunday night it was the under 18s disco (I cant believe they had a night for under 18s the day before school). Monday and Wednesday evenings were trad jazz nights with acts like Chris Barber and Acker Bilk. It later became the Cat's Whiskers club, the Ritzy then Caesars Nightclub. Incidentally,I remember I Remember [apologies] was chosen as an A side by The Three Bells,a UK soul girl trio but have had no luck in tracing it. Barry had a unique drum style but more importantly he owned an old Austin estate wagon, which was perfect for transporting our few bits of equipment to future gigs. Strat cranked up. I arrived this time just a few days after he passed away,he had phoned me the day before saying he was looking forward to my visit. I now recall cutting both sides as a demo in 1963 at the Regent Sound Studio in Londons famous Denmark St. (also known as Tin Pan Alley due to the large number of studios, record publishers and musical instrument shops. Would you believe, theres a new Aussie band called Treetops Two wonder if Mark Loyd will be doing guest vocals? Photos of the bands early years sent to me by guitarist Ian Middlemiss can be seen on this separate page. This site is a work in progress on 1960s garage rock bands. Tiffanys was designed in a Polynesian style with fake palm trees, lots of foliage and twinkling stars covering the ceilings. The Monotones had two U.S. releases on the Hickory label, one of which, When Will I Be Loved / If You Cant Give Me All was not released in the UK. Such fantastic memories..you will probably remember my brother Tim Gentle of Tim Gentle and his Gentlemen. I left Southend and went on to work in Oxford, before settling in Derby in 1970, where I opened a motor repair business which prospered well until I sold out in 1989. Women's Bond NFT Collection A Pavlov Dogs learned behaviour situation. Incredibly, we would often record, mix and master a complete album for clients in a day! Sadly the opportunity never arose. Includes the latest news stories, results, fixtures, video and audio. 12520. All Rights Reserved. Easy to forget the other top local bands and how good they were. The lead singer was a guy called Nigel Basham, classmate of mine between 1955-59. It features 9 tracks by The Monos, 6 by Mark and 12 of The Treetops. Im pleased to say that all members of the Mustangs are still alive and kicking a third playing reunion of the original band members was held at the Creeksea Ferry Inn on Wallasea Island on 14th August 2010 and, as Mick Reads indicated, our present Rayleigh-based band (called Full Circle for obvious reasons) which I joined as lead singer on my early retirement from international banking in 1995, includes two, and occasionally three, members of the Mustangs, Mick, Keith Chesher and myself. Yes, I do live in Vancouver on Canadas Pacific Coast. met a chap in Rayleigh High Street today, he reminisced about a group called Force Five or Whirlwinds, there were 2 Petes in the group, one was a drummer, can anyone throw some light on them? It was on our way home from one of these gigs that we stopped for a burger in The Mile End road, came back to the van to discover that most of our equipment had been stolen. Alas all long since sold to pay the mortgage! Jim, I also have what seems to be the 12inch 15ips NAB copy master tape of Tim Gentle & His Gentlemen and The Monotones recordings at Regent Sound Studios in Denmark Street in 1964, the songs on the tape are, Someones in the Kitchen With Dinah, Somethings Hurting Me, So Sad, When Will I be Loved, The Fix, 1st take, The Fix 2nd Take, Heaven Fell Last Night, Let Him Go, Little Roses, Words of Love, Ive Been Thinking About You, and Thats My Song. We had a lot of fun and accomplished a lot during my tenure with The Treetops and I have many fond memories from that time. It is The Mark Punter Show on Sundays and the interview is usually around 13.30. Gary asked me have a go on the drums, and then started to show me better ways to play the drums and teach me new techniques, and I had only been in there a few minutes, I was amazed you lot even spoke to me! I am striving to ensure the accuracy of information before committing to paper and it is in that regard that Im hoping you might be able to help me with some information about this group. We both promised to keep in touch but unfortunately we didnt. Magnolia, TX. This obviously could not continue and it became necessary to find another drummer/vocalist. Later on I worked in the City with a guy who became my closest chum, for a while: and we formed a new group. As you know I played with The Monotones / Treetops at The Elms and Tiffanys in Wimbledon in 1965/66 and Mark was a good friend and a great chap. I now live in the beautiful Adelaide Hills and go back to Essex every Christmas to see Mum. 1972 saw a number of changes in the group. Hi Chris, So good to hear that someone remembers us!! I . From which Robin (As he is now known) Trower developed his style and much sought after skill. I will be putting in my own Garage Band story soon. And I pressured (??) Spookily that was the time we moved to the area from Liverpool. Best regards to all. He is still in the entertainment industry but retired from singing a few years ago. Private. STREAM BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S: http://amzn.to/2erVXxnSONG AT THE END: http://amzn.to/2dXkYLRCHECK OUT MY BLOG: http://www.everythingaudrey.com- - - - - . I was at WHSB with Pete Stanley, Brian Alexander, Ian Middlemiss, Richard Vousden, Paul Dunning, Jim Eaton, Nigel Basham and many others. I did own all of their UK records but unfortunately dont have them anymore. Sam = a bit drunk.Left about 12.00 am. After rehearsing for sound and camera angles with many other artists during the day the programme went live on air. We had a guy named Joey Pyle, who was a professional criminal and associate of both The Krays and The Richardsons. Tiffany's. 506 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow. but great reading all the forums,also we use to go to orchid ballroom purley. Please give my kindest regards to all the other group members when you see them. Played pool at the BrickSaw loads of mates from skool.Had 2 Martinis came home at 11.00 pm. Nevertheless we sold a good quantity locally and were reasonably happy with our first attempt. To most of the audience this was hilarious, but we were told that head office did receive one complaint! She maybe back at skool tomorrow. The blog makes no mention of the White Hall gigs and St Cedds. We did, however, reduce the number of people in the group. You can get in touch with Rod via Jill. Fridays and Saturdays featured an assortment of pop acts such as Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders, Screaming Lord Sutch and the Savages etc. Do you still have this disc or any recollection of when and how ? I was with them until the breakup. We catch up with Mark in Sydney every couple of years. They left Southend for a residency at The Trocadero just off Piccadilly Circus which was to become the first of many Tiffanys clubs, run by Mecca, to open throughout the country. Had to hide from this mate of Sams so he could not get a taxi with us (oh how tight is that? During the year Mark, Tony and myself were asked to appear as a holiday camp trio in a film being made at Elstree Studios. But I do know we each received a handsome reward of 25 guineas [for young viewers a guinea was 1 and 1 shillingfor younger viewers thats 1 and 5 pence! From the very beginning of me buying records I always looked at the words in brackets under the song titles. If youre interested Jim is broadcasting 2 interviews with BBC Essex recalling our period as The Treetops. Our relationship with Andrew Loog Oldham seemed to fade after a while, but at least we had suits. We asked if we could borrow their instruments, which to our surprise they agreed to do. 67 years old and still cannot act my age, Hi Ian I am putting on an evening with Brian in Derbyshire in September and am wondering if you have any publicity-style piccies for Monotones/ Treetops. Jam with friends but no paid work. And me right in the middle of it! That was a good move for me as Brian had bought a Gibson 175 semi acoustic guitar and he loaned that to me as well, I could not put it down it was fantastic to play, you must have been very trusting, but I cant tell you how chuffed to bits I was to get to use some great gear at the time. What a blast finding this site nearly 50 years down the track. Its surprising what you suddenly remember at 3 in the morning whilst spending a pennyand not always the good things.in fact a bit of a nightmare from a performance at The Elms!! Kecamatan Pasar Minggu terletak di Jakarta Selatan. If youve ever seen Michael Apteds 1964 documentary Seven Up! Hi John By pure accident I came across this site looking for old 60s photos of Southend. Ever since that time I have been wondering who Alexander was. You will remember that Pam ( Sandys best friend ) was my long time on/off girlfriend who used to help with carrying amps etc! Recently met Rodney Clark & shall soon see him & Peter Trout (facebook friend) in concert. 1 . Have just come to the end of posts and am broken to hear that Jimbo has gone now too. Would be delighted to supply a CD if you email me direct at pncstanley@talktalk.net and Ill give you details. Personally I put this down to Pams amazing tea, pork pies and pickle! Once again, my sincere condolences for the sad loss of Nigel,as he will be greatly missed. Ever the entrepreneur, I came up with the concept of a Twist Contest: at the time, Chubby Checker and the Twist were the latest rage to hit the World of pop and dance. We were asked if we would play on a Sunday night at The Elms, as guests of the resident jazz trio headed by Barry the Bass. This wasnt a dance, but more of a cabaret and we had to entertain a seated crowd who seemed more interested in their drinks than anybody on stage.We decided we needed an act rather than just churn out pop songs. But it was the YEAR Of MAGIC music wise: The BEATLES were about to explode, Meseybeat took over and everything changed completely. The new club, which was to be called Bentleys was based on the same successful format and again required a trio of musicians. By . ada.lnk.to/Shadows. This volume covers UK bands who released at least one single between January 62 and December 66. After years of living abroad I was so glad to be home and find this webpage about the Monotones as I often did a little spot with them at The Elms in 1964 under the name of Jimmy Dingo and later worked with Jim Eatons brother Freddie doing security work at venues.It has been a nice walk down memory lane for me and glad to know that some of us are still going. Im sure Gary Broker played keyboard with them at one time and played a superb version of Canned Heats On the road again and well remember Thurston Crane singing vocal after Basher a throat operation. Paul, Hello Ian .. great to read your entry.it brought back many memories which at 67 Im finding increasingly difficult to recall! Collaborate with our global Enterprise Sales team. In fact , if you take the logical route we are the first exhibit, which may suggest they are saving the best to last!! at Ians parents home in Ailsa Road, Westcliff. Anyway, you must be pretty ancient by now, did you stay with Julie? Dear Brian: I wrote the following some time ago. My sincere condolences to Jims family. Adrian went on to play with the Mustangs (which included Phil Thomas, Mike Reed, Roger Dupuy, Keith Chesher). Adrian Philpott, The Mustangs, Queensland Australia. Who is playing at Wimbledon 2022? Brian had purchased the property at Hampton Court which, with the help of a team of builders and carpenters, we had created a mini Tiffanys which was to be named Alexanders. Went via Ricks house cos we had to take some records back (obviously Sam was waiting for me at the station, oh the age before mobile phones he would have been there and no way of knowing were I was how did we cope?). Best wishes, Colin. I am in the process of putting together a history of the Monotones/Treetops to include a few funny things that happened to us all along the way.Dont hesitate to contact me if you need to know anything about your great uncle. kingston frontenacs box office; taylor crichton wedding; grant county, wa real estate; wholesale funeral flower supplies. you may have wondered what song the kids are dancing to during the party scene towards the end of the film. Hi Jim, Good to hear from you after all these years. I dont remember your dance group but have fond memories of the Miss World gigs ( probably something to do with the contestants ! ) Cha c sn phm trong gi hng. We went to a greek club after work called the Clubmans Club in Chinatown or varied it by going in the Portland Lodge, not forgetting the hours we spent in Nicks all night cafe. Its only Rock & Roll, but I love it! My pal always had his hair cut by Pete Wilsher and I did have one cut from him (not too impressed with it I remember) just before he left the barber trade. Affectionately known as The New Conti, the New Continental opened in 1967 when the old Conti club in Oxford Road was demolished. I must admit, the result was pretty awesome! Kodepos. You may have these but if not I can send themif I can remember how to ! These cloths were weighted by a twelve foot length of heavy timber and unfortunately I let a rope slip and the back cloth dropped like a stone. Went to his house.Train was late had to wait hour. So joining The Treetops was a breath of fresh air, with freedom to cover a wide variety of styles even new songs I had penned for the band. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqgESu4A_E4, http://www.southend.gov.uk/news/article/432/exhibition_to_showcase_southends_rich_musical_heritage. I became friends with Brian and we found we had two common interestsguitars and girls. Hi Tim, Good to hear some of your recollections , glad we treated you kindly! Last time I met Paul, was at the retirement bash for Westcliff Highs famed head, Henry Cloke at the Southend Cliffs Pavilion in circa 1972, when we enjoyed sitting together during the formal meal. I must say I get envious as I would love an opportunity to join such a group so if ever you need a vocalist/rhythm guitar.let me know. What I clearly remember is that it was him that suggested I stop playing the guitar, adopt a stage name along with Nigel and that the two of us should front the group as lead singers. I know that the former band members throughout the early years will be sad to know that he has passed away. and The Elms was responsible for many a hangover!! The Whirlwinds were an excellent live band. Colin Bell. Hughes wanted not only the beer sales but the gate too. Barry, our drummer had left to pursue his career in the mens department of a local store. When we arrived on the first day, a very officious commissionaire at the studio gates, checked his artistes list and told us that we were male small partscertainly no good for our street credibility !! Thanks for the memories. Brian had struck a deal with Ted that the Monotones would rent the hall for a modest sum: and Ted would benefit from the bar take. 1955 Grace Bevins, Rogers Ive been asked to write a book about Southends music scene, from year dot to the present. I often stayed with him and his parents as I didnt live in the Southend area. Ted Hughes (Who also ran the Old Leigh pub, The Smack), had taken a lease on the Elm Hotel. There was a load more copy stuff but I do not remember. We had been staying at our home in France and the mail and papers had stacked up, meanwhile. It was hosted by original member, Cliff Messiter, who had enjoyed success as a very accomplished graphics artist and owner of a design studio. We had just began to get together, as he lived just around the corner from me. Mark Loyd (Nigel Basham) was the loveliest person one could meet. We were under the impression that we may have to attend another audition, as the candidates for the job were whittled down. I think one of our patients at the gimcrack has a coat like the one you mentioned. Go on leave a comment you know you want to .If it is rude, offensive or the like I have the magic finger of delete.. (I have decided to call the boy Sam as it would have been my choice of boys names if I had a son, seems as good a name as any). Hello David Glad you found us and made contact . Raducanu appeared to be in fine health while at British Vogue and Tiffany's annual fashion and film party in London last week, suggesting that the bout of illness set in at the last minute . I opened my eyes and there he was looking me in the face and I hadnt seen him for 20 years.
Piropos Chistosos Para Mujeres Groseros, Coachella Valley Firebirds Tickets, Laguna Sports Complex, Articles T