. After graduating from the University of Southern Mississippi, Daniella began to hone her writing skills through various internships, working for The Royal Obsession and Anatomie clothing. Use your thumb to press an indentation into the center of each patty. recipe: nothing even similar to the original Mississippi Slugburger which used dried potato flakes and maybe even a little half dried bread crumbs, but absolutely no cornmeal: Ughhhjust the thought is nauseatingand they were always topped with plenty of yellow mustard and dill pickles. If you have a griddle, you can toast the buns alongside the burgers. Join Date: Jun 2006. Pulse a few times until the meat is thoroughly ground. Add beef and cook, crumbling as it browns, for about 4-5 minutes. Originally called Weeksburgers, in the Fifties, soy grits replaced the potato and flour. A typical slugburger is a patty made of ground beef and a cheaper "extender," like cornmeal or soybean meal. Heat a 10-inch or larger cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until very hot, about 3 minutes. In our opinion, Gastonia sure needed a unique local donut shop. Ill definitely try making some. A doughburger, fries (or logs), and a medium drink for $5.99. Heat to inch vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Ingredients 1 cup mayonnaise cup chili sauce 2 tablespoons ketchup 1 tablespoon lemon juice 1 teaspoon smoked paprika 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce 1 teaspoon hot sauce teaspoon kosher salt teaspoon garlic powder teaspoon onion powder teaspoon dry mustard teaspoon freshly ground black pepper Directions At Borroums Drug Store in Corinth or BJs Corner Caf in Iuka, you will hear it called a slugburger. Continue with Recommended Cookies. Well, the address is technically 101 Thornhill Drive, Hattiesburg, MS, but if you decide to visit Hattiesburg, just stop Preheat your oven to 300F and lightly spray a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray. Vegetable oil Desired burger toppings Sandwich buns What You Do: 1. Toss well to coat. Learn how your comment data is processed. 4. Some peopleme includeddust the patties with flour before deep-frying in canola oil. Repeat process with remaining patties. Instructions. As we stated multiple times in the recipe, you can use any filler you like, and we in no way say that the recipe we shared was the absolute original. To make that claim on any food would be nearly impossible, as recipes are always adapted to meet ones tastes and resources. There is a little town in Northeast Mississippi called Corinth, and its claim to fame is the Slugburger a burger patty mixed with flour and soy meal and then deep fried until well done. Add the ground beef and knead until thoroughly mixed. This is the best hamburger recipe. The Mississippi Slug Burger was the first and really only thing that came up while doing my search of what to make. Posts: 4856. The name, slugburger, refers to the slang term for a nickel, which came into usage during the Great Depression. Well, actually my first thought was, I'm glad this doesn't have slugs in it. 1 Vidalia onion 1. 210,404 hits on #FoodieScore - and counting. Drain the green chiles. Layer the chunks on a sheet pan and put them in the freezer to chill for about 15-20 minutes (this will make the meat easier to grind in your processor.) Roll each biscuit out very thin. In a large mixing bowl, add the crumbled bread. When using raw hamburger patties, prepare according to package directions. Heat 1 , See Also: Low carb hamburger patty recipeShow details, WebLightly oil your hands and knead the dough until smooth and pliable. The burger joint, which opened in 1945 and is the longest-running restaurant in Tupelo, even has a booth named in his honor today. 4. Hollow out the loaf of bread. My grandpa Lee worked in a local diner owned by Windy Powell as a young man, and I imagine they employed some of the same tactics to get the most food out of the cheapest amount of ingredients. Ketchup - Regular or low sodium will work. She documented stories of slugburgers, doughburgers, potatoburgers, and hamburgers for the SFA in the project, A Hamburger by Any Other Name. CopyKat Chatter. 1 cup crispy fried onions, optional. #9. Bake or broil until internal temperature is 160 degrees F for 15 seconds. Add the Lawry's seasoning and onion powder to the flour and stir. These tasty sandwiches were a huge hit with our friends during football season. View all posts by Matthew Tessnear. Janice helps her son, Robert Hudson, run BJs Corner Caf in Iuka. Cook as normal in a 12-inch cast iron or electric skillet. All rights Reserved. LOL! In a small mixing bowl, combine the salt, pepper and onion powder. Place the Oreos in a food processor and pulse them until a fine crumb forms. We opt for cornmeal, which makes for incredibly crispy burgers, and add a little oatmeal (which is not at all traditional) for a heartier texture. Slugburgers have ties to the Depression-era practice of saving a little money by stretching out meat by adding in other ingredients. ground pepper. All rights reserved | Email: [emailprotected], Low Carb Burgers An Easy Keto Ketchup Recipe, Spicy Sausage Pasta Recipe By Zarnak Sidhwa, Brianas House Low Carb Chocolate Chip Cookies, Moong Ki Daal Ka Halwa Recipe By Gulzar Hussain, Cbd Recipes Cbd Massage Oil Recipe Uses And Benefits, Sugar Free Low Carb Dalgona Coke Float Coffee Keto Diet Philippines With Easy Recipes, Chewy Bakery Style Sugar Free Chocolate Chip Cookies Keto Nut Free, Mission Bbq Mac And Cheese Copycat Recipe, Mary Berry Raspberry And Limoncello Trifle Recipe, Magnolia Table Friendsgiving Casserole Recipe, Magnolia Table With Joanna Gaines Recipes. Step 1: Light your grill and set it up for two-zone cooking. I get asked, why is it called a slug burger!? 2. The tradition still runs so deep that people fry their own. When people endure both economic despair and prosperity, they dont forget the cooks or the meals that sustained them. Sautee' onions and mushrooms until soft. A slug burger has one of three kind of filler originally the filler was potato flour, or fine corn meal and soy flour. Make the crust mixture. The name comes from the fact that these used to cost a nickeland in the past, the slang term for nickel was "slug.". Those ingredients seemed to just fit. But prices were different nearly a century ago, and times were tight then, too. Back then, the burgers were sold for a nickel, thereby giving them their memorable name: slugburgers. Combine with your fingers, breaking apart the meat. Thanks some much for the history and the video. Mollys Take: The slugburger reminded me of a livermush sandwich, too, most notably because of its consistency. Dont forget to subscribe to the Average Guy Gourmet for new recipes every other day by clicking here. Owner Willy Rakestraw stands for a portrait at his counter atLatham's Hamburger Inn. Put all of the ingredients in a blender and process until well mixed. Add the buns, cut side down, and toast for 30 seconds, until golden. Stir well with the spatula or a fork, until a stiff dough is formed. 2. The Butcher Block Restaurant and Kidd's Supply. Patty out burgers and coat with flour for frying. Fry the patties until cooked to desired crispiness, from 1 to 5 minutes. Prep Time: 5 minutes Total Time: 5 minutes Total Carbs: 2.3 g Protein: 0.1 g Servings: 1 .5 cups 4.99 from 69 votes While the burger cooks, spray your piece of Lo-Dough with water and roll out a little flat between to pieces of the silicone paper from it's , WebAdd the almond flour, psyllium husk powder (sprinkle dont dump), and egg to the cheese mixture. Even the cheese gets a brief dip in the grease to soften and flavor it. Directions. Sandwiches may also be wrapped in deli paper, waxed paper, foil sheets . After making the slugburger, I was amazed at how similar it is to a livermush sandwich, a delicacy in the county where we live. Thank you! A booth with all the condiment essentials at Johnnie's Drive Inn. Dudie's Diner and the burger soon became a local favorite in downtown Tupelo. You'll still get a fantastically crispy burger that you'll find yourself craving again and again once you've had it. Whisk in the ranch seasoning mix and the au jus mix until well-combined, then stir in the pepperoncini. Repeat with remaining patties, adding more oil if needed. Ms. Milligan spent her early school days in split sessions, meaning that during the cotton harvest shed work the fields when her family instead of sitting in a classroom. Manage Settings A slugburger (originally Weeksburger) is a traditional Southern food found in the area of Northeast Mississippi, particularly Corinth, New Albany, Booneville, Iuka, Tishomingo, Burnsville, West Tennessee, and north Alabama, particularly Decatur, Hartselle, Athens, Moulton, and Cullman. Set aside. This makes about 8 burgers. If its hot and if its got the mustard, pickle, and onion, its just something that never goes away with you.. While banners dotted around downtown depict a garden slug between two hamburger buns, it can be confirmed that the towns famous sandwich doesnt contain any of these slimy creatures. Remove from oil, top with cheese, and dunk in oil to melt cheese. Add the shredded , See Also: Low carb crust recipeShow details, WebServe with your favorite extras but dont forget to count the carbs. Janice Milligans story reflects the history of this working-class food tradition. Some peopleme includeddust the patties with flour before deep-frying in canola oil. Place slices on the prepared baking sheet. Add dough and using the back of a spoon, shape into round , See Also: Low Carb Recipes, Meat RecipesShow details, 2021 Share-Recipes.Net. Despite its unusual name, it is not made with slugs, but gets its name from the Depression-era practice of combining ground meat with fillers such as potato flour or soybeans. Ready to sink your teeth into a slugburger? This is all I could find. Shape into eight patties. I'm showing you my take on one of America's strangest hamburgers, and certainly the hamburger with the strangest name. Ingredients lb. Buns I would like to know what the 4 Burger cookbooks are, on your shelf. 1. Amount is based on available nutrient data. David Kidd, owner of The Butcher BlockRestaurant in Pontotoc, Mississippi, takes a stand behind the counter at his outdoor supply shop that is next door to his restaurant. Coat a small area with cooking spray and add onions, moving around until soft and opaque, with a little char, about 2-3 minutes. As I mention in the video, the earliest versions used dried potato flakes, and if I we had easy access to those I'd probably have given that a try, but today's instant mashed potato flakes have like two dozen ingredients. In a large skillet over medium heat add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. 1. Add the , See Also: Burger Recipes, Keto RecipesShow details, WebJuicy Low Carb Smash Burgers Directions STEP 1 Preheat grill Preheat grill to 450 to 500 degrees F. Divide ground beef into 6 equal portions. Divide onion evenly among bun tops; arrange 4 pickle chips over each bun top. Lower heat to medium and reduce until thick, but not entirely dry, about 10 . Cover and set aside. Cut the crusts off the bread slices. hahaha. The well known slugburger served at Borroum's Drugstore. I never tried nothing except one thing that I could not do and that was crochet. We have a few favorite mom-and-pop shops in the region west of Charlotte that are our favorites. Fry the patties until cooked to desired doneness: soft: 1 1/2 minutes, crispy: 2 to 3 minutes, well: 4 minutes and cremated: 5 minutes. If you would like to change your settings or withdraw consent at any time, the link to do so is in our privacy policy accessible from our home page.. Thoroughly mix meat with cornmeal or other filler substance and a pinch of salt. Being from Mississippi myself I have made the slug burger not knowing the history just knowing that I grew up on them. We recommend saving this mushroom recipe (minus the pureeing) for a knockout side dish. Add Beaten , See Also: Burger Recipes, Low Carb RecipesShow details, WebThis Low Carb Burger Keto Pizza has almost no carbs, is keto friendly, and you only need a few ingredients to make it! It's a bit of extra effort but take the challenge and you'll be rewarded with a gold-medal burger. OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article. Cayenne mix. Cook until well browned and crusty, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Cover with the top portion of the bun. This BBQ Hotspot In Mississippi Has Been Serving Up Some Of The Best Southern Eats Since 1924, The Gourmet Burgers At Velvet Cream Will Change The Way You See This Mississippi Culinary Staple Forever, Bulldog Burger Co. 4. Grillax, y'all! CCP: Cover and refrigerate at 41 degrees F or lower until ready for service. Your email address will not be published. Daily specials at The Butcher Block Restaurant in Pontotoc, Mississippi. The juice of 1/2 of a lemon. 1 clove garlic, minced 2 Tbs. Pamala, we regret to hear you feel nauseated at the thought of this recipe we shared back in 2015. (-) Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Each year people from across the continent descend on Corinth for the annual Slugburger Festival, which began in 1988. So I was a firm believer that if I couldnt do it I wouldnt do it, but I could do it. Back then, the burgers were sold for a nickel, thereby giving them their memorable name: slugburgers. 1/4 tsp pepper A slugburger patty is made out of ground pork and flour, and is then fried in the deep dryer before being served on a bun with onion, mustard and pickles. Directions Preheat a deep fryer with cooking oil to 350 degrees F. You can also use a cast-iron skillet and fill halfway with cooking oil. Write a review Save Recipe Print Total Time 15 min Ingredients 1 lbs. Form patties. So I loved trying out this burger, because traditions like this, and the history behind them, ought to be remembered. And of course you'll garnish your Slugburgers as you see fit, but the classic bun dressing of yellow mustard and pickles was perfection. 2. Place burgers in the pan and fry until meat is brown and crispy on the outside. In a large bowl, add the beef. ** Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. We will keep that in mind as we continue to share food we love with others who love food, too. In the years since, shes had the privilege of having her articles appear in several publications, such as Parents & Kids Magazine and Girl Meets Strong. The donuts are more robust, flavorful and memorable than said competitor. Click for more than 220 hamburger recipes, with cooking tips from home grillers. Mix until well combined. That meant if you can't do what youre supposed to be trying to do, let it go and find something you can do. Tapping his knowledge of the beef processing industry, he devised a recipe for a new "burger" that allowed him to save money on the meat (and which ensured his guests saved money on their meals as well). Modern-day potato flakes don't produce quite the same results as the ones originally used for slugburgers, so home cooks will use all-purpose flour, bread, and/or cornmeal as the extender, while restaurants might opt for soy grits or soymeal. But I give it a C for presentation because, lets face it, fried meat isnt pretty, even when topped with onions and colorful green pickles. Take a handful of the mixture and roll it into a ball, then flatten out into patty and place it on a clean surface to flatten out to about a 1/4-inch thick. 1 pound ground meat (Weve used ground beef and ground turkey. Preheat oven to 375F. Add the ground beef and knead until thoroughly mixed. In a small. When people endure both economic despair and prosperity, they dont forget the cooks or the meals that sustained them. An example of data being processed may be a unique identifier stored in a cookie. Fry in oil flipping only once. Get more stories delivered right to your email. Since 1979, Southern Living magazine has produced a collected volume of its recipes from the past year. If ever there were a restaurant that embodied the mantra, If it aint broke, dont fix it, its White Trolley Caf! Flatten the balls with a flat spatula to form rough 4-inch wide patties that are about 1/2-inch thick. This is just one of the iconic eateries in Mississippi. Your email address will not be published. In a small sauce pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Theres something about a doughburger. But don't worry, this is 100% mollusk free. Slugburgers got their ear-catching name because they were originally sold for a nickel, and folks referred to a nickel as a slug. We cant imagine getting a burger of any kind for five cents nowadays. Keto Cinnamon Rolls. More often than not, you will find them dressed with just mustard, pickle rounds, and slices of white onion. this is a b.s. A welcoming entrance with numerous handpainted signs including a full menu at Johnnie's Drive Inn. 1 onion 1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms 2 slices cheddar cheese 2 slices monterey jack cheese 1 packet brown gravy mix (McCormick works well) directions In a medium sized mixing bowl, put the first 5 ingredients, Mix Well. Add 3 patties to pan. Place the cauliflower into a large mixing bowl and pour the seasoned butter over the top. All rights reserved. Condiments have not been included in this nutrient analysis - remember to include them in the weekly menu nutrient analysis. Melissa Pelkey Hass, Waleska, Georgia. Just use your favorite. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Your email address will not be published. Drain liquid. To make stout mushroom duxelle (Mississippi Mud): Heat 10-in. 3. The festival features concerts, carnival and of course the slugburger! Dough burgers supposedly originated during the Great Depression. , @grillmarksofficial in downtown @visitgreenvillesc serves burgers and fries! Couple dashes of hot sauce. Powered by American Hometown Media, Inc. Its a very different kind of burger, because its flatter and crispier than a typical burger. #FightinWords #FoodFight Everybody who eats donuts has a strong opinion about the best donuts. Instructions. Place burgers in the pan and fry until meat is brown and crispy on the outside. Youve heard hillbilly rigging its what hillbilly dose when times are slim you rig something to hold you over till a trade of cash is found. 2023 Just A Pinch Recipe Club, LLC. We and our partners use data for Personalised ads and content, ad and content measurement, audience insights and product development. While burgers cook, toast the buns. We LOVE @238cherokees Buffalo Chicken Dip with Pita! These unique burgers were sold for a "slug," slang for a nickelhence the name. Homemade Patty Melt Recipes That Beat the Diner's, How to Make Chick-fil-A Sandwiches at Home, My Favorite Sam's Club Find For Making Copycat Chick-fil-A Sandwiches Is on Sale Right Now, Pulled Chicken Sloppy Joes (Sloppy Chickens), This Is the Correct Way to Layer Condiments on a Burger. Fire. A Mississippi hamburgeror slugburger or doughburger or Weeksburgercontains various origin stories, and most of these stories point to the town of Corinth as the beginning of the tradition. Cook until browned and crisp, about 4 minutes per side. Thats what they make daily cut it to a quarter and see if that helps. Coat patties in cracker crumbs. AboutPressCopyrightContact. Though the seasoning was plainer, the fattier meat, with a filler that more capably retained the meat's juices and a more favorable meat-to-filler ratio, made for a juicier, more enjoyable burger, and one that deserved to be served alongside some homemade beer-battered onion rings and a . By clicking Accept All Cookies, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. But my favorite is the meal soy grit flour. Absolutely! We offer a sincere apology. John Weeks brought this recipe from Chicago to Corinth, Mississippi, in 1917. Add the Lawry's seasoning and onion powder to the flour and stir. Love Mississippi? Low Carb Pretzels Recipe. Season 1 Slugburger with salt on both sides. To same skillet, add onion and cook another 4-5 minutes, stirring just occasionally, so the onions are softened, but a little charred on the edges. In time, Yummm could join our list of go-to donut shops. The burgers are dense, in a good way, with more chew to them than traditional burgers. No problem; at Blue Rooster you can build your own burger. When we travel back through Mississippi, well be trying more! 3. Banny was born in 1910, grew up in Alabama and was well-acquainted with the need to cook on a dime. No matter what they're called, hamburgers in North Mississippi have one thing in common: the patties are mixed with a little bit of meat and mostly filler, like soymeal, bread crumbs, flour, or potato flakes. I grew up eating these burgers the are tasty the have a little crunchy ness they really dont taste like a ham burger because there are what they call beef burger and the the slug burger. Chef John Ingredients 7 slices potato bread 1 pound ground chuck 1 teaspoon kosher salt teaspoon freshly ground black pepper , See Also: Low carb hamburger recipesShow details, Web3. Thank you so much for sharing. Divide the meat mixture into fourths. Owner Don Knight serves a classic doughburger at Johnnie's Drive Inn. Juiciest Hamburgers Ever 1,273 Ratings Stacey's Hamburger Seasoning 316 Ratings Best Hamburger Ever 779 Ratings The Perfect Basic Burger 224 Ratings Chef John's Loco Moco 46 Ratings Air Fryer Hamburgers 5 Ratings Air Fryer Burgers 4 Ratings All the flavours of Brazil crammed into one epic mouthful - peri peri sauce, streaky bacon, chimichurri, creamy lime and avocado mayo, sweet and sour pickled pink onions, and cumin-spiced onion rings. Form into patties, on the thin side. When skillet is hot, pour in olive oil and spread evenly. Mix it thoroughly by hand and loosely form the patties, about 1/2 thick. The old restaurant has. They are traditionally served topped with mustard, dill pickles, and onions on a small 5-inch hamburger bun. Leave to cook for approx. In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dip ingredients. [] Several posts in particular seem to have deeply connected with fellow foodies, most of all our Mississippi Slug Burger, which astounds us when we see its thousands of views continue to [], Miss Mississippi and slugburgers, not as good made at home. If the cheese is not fully melted, add it back to the microwave for another 30 seconds. In a small mixing bowl, combine , WebHeat cheese in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes. Dampen your fingers with water and form mixture into hamburger patties. David Kidd proudly shares "The Original" doughburger. So I present to you Tony Ricans version of the Mississippi Slug Burger and I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did! Discovery, Inc. or its subsidiaries and affiliates. Add chopped shallots and saut about 1 minute. Preheat the oven to 250 F. Mix the beef with 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a large bowl, then form into 8 balls. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. These were deep-fried, giving them crispy exteriors and juicy insides, topped with mustard, slid between buns, and sold for a nickel, which back in that day were also called slugs. Heat for about two minutes, and carefully open the lid. Back when I was a student at the University of Southern Mississippi in Hattiesburg, MS, one of the local favorites for burgers was the Ward's Restaurant on Hardy Street just before you cross the bridge over I-59. To the warm veggie mixture, add tamari, salt, parsley, paprika, cumin, and garlic powder. Helpful Tips & Frequently Asked Questions The main ingredient in the mix is dry buttermilk powder. Borne out of the Great Depression, the slugburger p. Pair with: Ecliptic Brewing Capella Porter. Butter each burger bun with softened butter, set aside. Remember, White Trolley Caf doesnt accept debit or credit cards. Mississippis The Shed wins World Championship, Celebrating like our ancestors: Messy Ribs, Easy Wild Game Marinade will boost harvest flavor, Grillax BBQ Trails: Your guide to great Q, Grilled: Chicken Fried Rice to rule tailgates, Bananas Foster a decadent dessert off the grill, Ultimate Prime Rib: Be prepared to weep this holiday, MoBay Conecuh and Gulf Shrimp Skewers are OMG good, Wood Smoke 101: How to grill with wood smoke, Cooking oil or liquid shortening, for frying, 50 hamburger buns, steamed (get ready to feed the neighborhood). The hours of the establishment usually work around a typical first-shift factory schedule: open by six when the sun comes up, closed at two after a lunch rush thats contained within a thirty-minute break from the shop. In 1917, a gentleman named John Weeks headed South from Chicago to Corinth, Mississippi. 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder. Required fields are marked *. A young boy sits at the counter atBJs Corner Caf in Iuka, Mississippi. Sprinkle evenly with the Worcestershire sauce, seasoning salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Then add flour and gently mix together with the meat. A slugburger is a type of hamburger found mostly in Mississippi, Tennessee, and Alabama. Never met anyone who went thru Mississippi to go anywhere. Transfer toasted bread to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until you reach coarse crumbs. Ingredients: Stout Mushrooms (Mississippi Mud) 1 Pound Crimini Mushrooms - Pureed in Food Processor cup Good Quality beef Stock 1 (12 Ounce) Bottle Stout (preferably Lazy Magnolia Jefferson Stout) 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Colavita Preferred) cup fine minced Shallots 1 Teaspoon Salt 1 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper So, whether you make these because beef prices are so high, or you just want to see the look on your guests faces when you tell them you're making Slugburgers, I really do hope you give these a try soon. Recipe courtesy of C.F. At the time of our original post back in May 2015, our four cookbooks on the shelf were, in no particular order: Great Burgers: Mouthwatering Recipes, by Bob Sloan; Gourmet Burgers, 2010, from Publications International; Wicked Good Burgers: Fearless Recipes and Uncompromising Techniques for the Ultimate Patty, by Andy Husbands, Chris Hart and Andrea Pyenson; and Webers Big Book of Burgers: The Ultimate Guide to Grilling Backyard Classics, by Jamie Purviance.